Thursday 21 February 2008

Captain Britain and MI:13 NEEDS YOU!

Okay, so this is one of those weird things that happens when I get chatting with a few people over at Millarworld ( http://forums.millarworld.tv/ ) about comics, whilst probably over caffeinated and under engaged mentally. I end up making stuff...

There's a thread over there started up for the new upcoming Captain Britain and MI:13 series, full of enthusiasm, hope and praise. But of course enthusiasm, hope and praise don't sell comic books on their own. Neither, unfortunately, does critical acclaim. Recently, for example Matt Fraction and Barry Kitson's The Order - a book I very much enjoy, as it seems do a number of people over at Millarworld - was given the axe due to low sales. It reviewed well, had a fanbase building, but now it's going. And that's sad.

Several of us got to talking about wanting to make sure - no matter what - that this title did not go the way of The Order, and started brainstorming for ideas of how to publicise the title.

And so I found myself discussing the concept of fliers and messageboard sigs in the style of the old WW1 Lord Kitchener 'Your Country Needs You!' posters. The problem is, that when these kind of things are suggested I really don't need much encouragement to start mocking things up...

I guess what I really wanted was to replace Kitchener's Head with that of Captain Midlands. But I couldn't quite get the right image. So in the end I opted for mocking up the following, using the cover for #1, solicited earlier this week:




I think it does the job. Hopefully you should be able to click on the image for a larger version. I also cobbled together a messageboard sig version:




Feel free to use that sig yourself on any messageboard you fancy, and the flier anyplace you can too. Hopefully we'll be able to spread the word of this series, quickly and efficiently.

Support British Superheroes - Buy Captain Britain and MI:13!

In other news, the nice people at Amazon have finally dispatched my ClanDestine hardcover volume. Hopefully that will be with me shortly.

I've also been re-reading Genetix and Gene Dogs - the somewhat short-lived 'X-Men of 90s Marvel UK' for a future blog. Whenever I get around to writing that... ;-)

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment